Open Source Developer Advocate / DevRel Engineer
Are you passionate about engaging with the developer community? Do you find yourself striking up interesting conversations about technology topics, the culture in engineering organizations, and the impact developers have on the companies they work for?
Do you keep yourself up to date on all the new tools and stacks in the cloud&AI space, with the ability to jump between different tech discussions about the entire DevSecOps cycle at the drop of a hat?
Do you enjoy creating valuable & educational content that developers can enjoy and engage with in various mediums, including writing, video, and audio?
Do you like working in a fast-paced, highly technical startup environment with like-minded people - where even the sales and marketing departments are staffed by former developers and computer scientists?
If you are -- then you might be a great fit for LocalStack!
This is a truly unique opportunity to work with the global developer community and shape the future of cloud application development.
About LocalStackWe are a young, fast-growing startup, headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, with a development office in Vienna, Austria and remote team members from around the world. At LocalStack, we’re building world-class tooling to support highly efficient dev&test loops for cloud application developers. Our core product is the LocalStack cloud emulator - a light-weight cloud sandbox running in Docker that allows our users to develop cloud applications entirely on their local machines. LocalStack has a large and active open source community (45k+ stars on GitHub) with several 100k active users worldwide. With a growing international customer base across the Fortune Global 500 companies for our Pro and Enterprise offerings, as well as a growing, globally distributed team of top-notch engineers and BizDev experts, we are on an exciting growth journey to become the world’s leading platform for local cloud software development.
About the role
As LocalStack’s developer advocate, your responsibility is to build and support the growing LocalStack community, and help them be successful with LocalStack. You do this by providing content in the form of HowTo guides, code examples, video tutorials, feature documentation, and blog posts. By working closely with both the product and the engineering team, you will identify and fix issues in the core product, and get your hands dirty to solve issues impacting our users. You will be instrumental in creating an enjoyable and compelling developer experience that helps drive the adoption of our technology.
If you want to be a driving force in making cloud development fun again, we would love to have you on the team!
What you will do
You will use your creativity and come up with exciting new ways to engage with the broader developer community, to make the product shine. Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Improve developer experience and write engaging educational content, including blog posts, feature documentation, code samples, tutorials, and demo apps
- Record demo videos showcasing key product features, interesting use cases for the product, and various technical areas of application you come up with while using LocalStack. LocalStack shines on multiple fronts - make it sparkle!
- Get involved in the sales cycle and demonstrate the value of LocalStack
- Provide training to our users and customers
- Spearhead community events, curate content for social media, and create new and exciting initiatives to build engagement with the developer community (e.g. open-source, meetups, forums, twitter spaces, hackathons, contests ...)
- Distill and take the community feedback back to the team, to help shape our product direction
- You love code, content, and communication
- You have an excellent understanding of software engineering processes
- You’re obsessed with developer experience
- You are passionate about trying new frameworks and technologies
- You have a love for enabling, helping, and guiding others to achieve new goals
- You have 2+ years of experience in DevRel, community building, or technical writing
- You have experience in most or all of these areas:
- Technical writing
- Cloud platforms (AWS/Azure/GCP)
- DevOps automation
- Developer tooling
What we offer
We offer a highly dynamic, productive, and flexible work environment, where you’ll be working with some of the brightest minds who are truly shaping the future of cloud software development. Given our current trajectory as a company, we offer outstanding opportunities for professional growth, as well as high visibility in the global developer community. We can offer competitive salary packages which will generally depend on your level of expertise and experience.
We strive to provide a flexible work environment, and can accommodate flexible work hours (and timezones). We focus on output rather than process, and try to keep things as lean and agile as possible, to achieve the best possible efficiency and velocity. We are currently working in a remote setup spread across different geos - with the majority of the core team based in Zurich/Switzerland and Vienna/Austria.